FreedomFiler Business And Home Filing Systems Online   Your Filing Is Finished.  
How FreedomFiler invented the self-purging filing system, eliminating paper clutter and the need for record retention schedules.Filing system and paper organization products from FreedomFiler help you file paper easily!Our free learning center shows you how-to file paper and set-up a filing system free of paper clutter.Sign in for discounts on orders, shipment tracking, and account balances.Get support for home filing and business filing, or download templates for printing filing categories.
> FILING 101
Is it safe to throw away tax documents after ten years?*

The IRS has three years to challenge your tax declarations, but it has up to six years if your income is understated by more than 25%. Therefore, it is generally considered more than adequate to keep tax records for ten years.* Note: save the following forms along with receipts in a Permanent file for calculating taxable gains when you sell your house, investments, or any property:

  • Form 8606 for nondeductible contributions made to your retirement fund which can be withdrawn later without paying additional tax (if you frequently make nondeductible contributions, keep a separate account to simplify record keeping)
  • Form 8839 for property improvements made in support of adopted children
  • Form 3468 for energy saving improvements, electric vehicles, and other investment credits
  • Form 2119 only if you have postponed paying tax on profits from the sale of a previous home or homes before May 7 of 1997
  • Form 4562 for depreciation of property (the IRS recommends that you use depreciation tables as your permanent record instead)
  • Any other forms pertaining to cost-basis of an asset (i.e. purchase price and improvement costs)
Note: If you intentionally avoid filing a return or falsify records, there is no time limit for the government to charge you with fraud. If you have any special circumstances consult a tax advisor. If you are not sure, keep records of your actual tax forms (1040, W2 etc.) beyond ten years using the extra labels provided on sheet 3 of your Deluxe Kit. After ten years have passed, you may discard cancelled checks, receipts, statements and the like.*

*NOTE: While FreedomFiler® provides a method of automatic purging which eliminates the need to review files, you must ultimately decide which documents are kept two years, ten years, or indefinitely. FreedomFiler® is not liable under any circumstances for claims of loss or damage arising from suggested document retention guidelines. Consult a professional advisor to determine your specific document retention needs and adapt your system accordingly.

Copyright 2017© FreedomFiler® ALL RIGHTS RESERVED